14 Mar 2012

Programme Notes

This piece explores the idea of stripping away and searching for what lies within. The idea of hidden identity is central to this work. I have noticed that I gain confidence by applying makeup and covering up ‘imperfections’.

This has made me question;

What is perfection?

Is everything a facade?

How can we find the truth?

Can stereotypes be broken?

I have been inspired by the work of the Performance Artists Franko B and Rachel Lachowicz who both use the body as a tool to leave traces. I am also interested in the Feminist ideas raised by the Guerrilla Girls and how they were masked and their real identities hidden while protesting.

This piece explores how the mask of makeup is used within entertainment, celebration, rituals, power struggles and is also used to hide behind.

By using water, makeup, cloth, paints and sheets, I have been able to explore these questions above in a way that cleanses, reveals and leaves a lasting mark.

Special thanks to Amy Voris, Fiona Jackson, Joana Tischkau and Oana Rotariu.

No comments:

Post a Comment